- The Hague - hotels - tourism - visit - travel - lodging -
accommodation - sightseeing - pictures
Picture Gallery I
(We selected some of these highlights
from the web site of
EUCC - The coastal Union. We suggest you consult this excellent
city guide for more information about The Hague and its surroundings).
Built in 1633-1644. One of the first and finest examples of Dutch
classical baroque, characterized by pilasters positioned along the
entire length of the façade plus pediments decorated with sculptures.
Since 1822 the building has been home to the Royal Collection of
Paintings. Korte Vijverberg 8.
The oldest parts of this medieval count's castle, the Ridderzaal
(Knight's Hall) and the Rolgebouw (Roll Building), situated at the rear,
date from the 13th century. In the centuries that followed alteration
work has been carried out and extensions have been added to the
Binnenhof. This complex housed the local government as early as the 15th
century. In 1585, it became the seat of the States General of the
Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.
The Grenadierspoort (Grenadier's Gate), built in 1634, situated
diagonally opposite the Mauritshuis, is the entrance to the Binnenhof.
The Ministry of Public Affairs (Binnenhof 18-19) has its offices in the
Binnenhof, along the Hofvijver (Court Pond) behind Grenadiers's Gate on
the right. A large part of this section, in Neo-Renaissance style, dates
from 1913 but some parts are older, such as the famous Trêveszaal
(Trêves Hall), dating from 1697 in Louis XIV style and the octagonal,
15th century turret at the corner of the Hofvijver, where the Prime
Minister has his office.
The Former Earl's Halls, Binnenhof 8-14, was a former castle of the
Earls of Holland and dates back to the 13th and 14th century. It is
situated in the middle of the Binnenhof. The large hall has been known
as the Ridderzaal since the 19th century. It is a rare example of
profane gothic architecture in Europe. The entrance to the Binnenhof
Visitor's Centre is situated under the Ridderzaal (at Binnenhof 8a) in
one of the medieval cellars. This is where presentations on the history
of the Binnenhof are given and guided tours leave from here throughout
The fountain in the Binnenhof, built in 1885, is Neo-Gothic, consisting
of an ashlar basin topped by a wrought iron construction with gargoyles.
The fountain was a gift from distinguished Hague residents as a token of
their appreciation for the restoration of the Binnenhof complex, which
had started in1879. The gilded statue topping the fountain represents
the Catholic King Willem II.
Since the Middle Ages the forecourt of the Earl's palace was linked by
narrow alleys to the village of Die Haeghe and by the Gevangenpoort
(Prison Gate) to the Plaats. In the 19th and 20th centuries alterations
opened the Buitenhof to the traffic. The Gravenstraat, the Hofweg and
the Vijverdam in front of the Gevangenpoort were subsequently
Museum de Gevangenpoort (National Museum Prison Gate), built before
1344, extensions added in the 15th century. In the Middle Ages, the
Gevangenpoort was the outer gate of the Earl's castle to the Binnenhof.
From about 1420 subsequent Earls used it as a prison. The Court of
Holland later used it for the same purpose. In 1828, the gate ceased to
be used as a prison and since 1882 is has been a national museum
exhibiting instruments of torture and punishment. Buitenhof 33.
Gallery Prins Willem V built in 1773-1774. This building
housed the painting collection of Alderman Prince Willem V. Between
11-13h, the citizens of The Hague were given the opportunity of looking
at these paintings so this gallery was in fact the first museum in
Holland. During the French period, the whole collection was transferred
to Paris and when the collection was returned to The Hague it was sent
to the Mauritshuis. The present painting gallery has made a faithful
reconstruction of the original collection and it also gives a very good
idea of the way in which 18th century art collections were exhibited.
Buitenhof 37, which was given the name of 'Vijverhof' in 1975 after
being restored for the Lower House, was formerly a nobleman's house
dating from 1643. This building marks the corner with the Vijverdam.
The Passage is the last remaining example of this kind of shopping
arcade in the Netherlands. They were popular in the large European and
American cities in the second half of the 19th century. The wing to the
Hofweg, in expressionist style, was only built in 1928. The two other
wings, in Neo-Renaissance style, lead to the Spuistraat and the
Buitenhof and date from 1882. Hofweg 5-7 / Buitenhof 4-5.
Huis ten Bosch
Palace Huis ten Bosch Palace was originally built as a summer residence
for Amalia van Solms. She was very involved in the building process,
supported by the palace’s architect Pieter Post and advised by
Constantijn Huygens, her husband’s secretary. However, her husband died
during construction and she had the palace changed into a mausoleum, in
his memory. On the occasion of the marriage of Prince William IV to
Princess Anne of England in 1733, two side wings, designed by Daniel
Marot, were added to the central building. In 1899 the palace hosted the
First World Peace Conference, an initiative of Czar Nicholas II.
The palace was not used by the royal family during World War II. In 1943
the Germans were going to pull the palace down, however, this plan was
frustrated at the last moment. After the war the palace fell into
disrepair. Princess Juliana stayed her occasionally when she had to be
in The Hague on government business. After a major restoration in 1977,
Queen Beatrix choose Huis ten Bosch Palace as her residence. From 1981
The Hague was home to a royal family once more.
Noordeinde Palace has always been the residence of the reigning
Stadtholder or monarch. The first inhabitant was Louise de Coligny, the
last wife of William the Silent. In the 17th century, Frederik Hendrik
and Amalia van Solms had the Huis ten Bosch Palace built. Both palaces
were in use until the beginning of the French rule, but from that time
until World War II only Noordeinde Palace was used as a residence.
During World War II Queen Wilhelmina lived in England. The palace was
slightly damaged during the war. After Queen Wilhelmina’s return she
lived in a number of villas in Nieuwe Parklaan. Her daughter, Queen
Juliana, never lived in Noordeinde Palace. Until 1977 the palace housed
the Institute of Social Studies, but after drastic renovations Queen
Beatrix chose to use this palace as her place of work in 1984. Left of
Noordeinde Palace is number 66, the house where Crown Prince
Lange Voorhout Palace
Banker Archibald Hope loaned Lange Voorhout Palace, built by architect
Pieter de Swart, to Emperor Napoleon, when he spent a week in The Hague
in 1811. In 1845 the palace was bought by Prince Hendrik, son of King
William I. From 1901 to 1934 Queen Emma lived here, while Queen Juliana
worked from here during her reign. Queen Beatrix had her offices here
from 1981 to 1984, but since the renovation of Noordeinde Palace she has
worked from there. Lange Voorhout Palace has been open to the public
from 1992; the Municipal Museum The Hague uses it for its changing
Many of the royal family’s carriages are garaged in the royal stables.
The best-known of these carriages is the Golden Carriage. This was the
present of the people of Amsterdam to Queen Wilhelmina on her ascension
to the throne at the age of 18. The Golden Carriage is made of timber,
which is covered with a layer of gold leaf. The pictures on the carriage
depict many allegorical symbols. The Golden Carriage is used only once
per year; at the opening of Parliament on the third Tuesday in September
(Prinsjesdag). The Royal Stables are heritage-listed and are not open to
Hague and region has some thirty museums. Some enjoy international fame.
Others are less well-known but none the less interesting for that. Art
museums such as the Gemeentemuseum The Hague, the Statues by the Sea
Museum, Panorama Mesdag and the Mauritshuis add colour to the city,
together with for example the Hague Historical Museum, the Mesdag
Museum, Gallery Prince William V and others.
The Museum for Communication focuses attention on communication: the
latest developments in the field of post and telephone, but also special
postal stamps and antique telephones. Museum Scheveningen gives visitors
a lively picture of the history of this fishing village. Fishing and
seaside activities were dominant factors in everyday life and gave the
village a unique character. The specific rural character of the former
agricultural and historical village of Loosduinen is preserved in ‘De
Web design by THE
All pictures are copyright by
Their use is allowed only after written permission by arakea.com and
by adding a link to hotels-holland.com